Today has been amazing, and it’s only 11:45. I woke up at 10 and had the customary breakfast of fantastic coffee and a couple tiny cookies, then finished my packing for the alps. I decided to go for a walk and to my surprise, I didn't get lost. Some may say that’s because I walked around the block in a circle I had studied on google maps for half an hour, but really I think it’s due to my excellent sense of direction.
Holy. In a 20 minute walk I think I saw more beautiful buildings than what all of Vancouver has in total. Every single building had history to it, whether it be the plants that people had tried to grow around their windows into hearts (no picture of that because taking pictures of peoples windows is weird, even for me), to wrought iron gates that twisted and turned into beautiful designs. My urge to step every single dog I see is still very present, especially when the dogs are italian and walked on Louis Viton leashes by gorgeous humans. And I mean G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. Like, I’m sorry but how can old people be so fabulous that I want to take a picture of them and have them sign it? Not fair.
So to continue on the amazing day I already wrote about, after a 2 hour drive in their big van (which has a DVD player which had the little munchkins asleep in a matter of minutes) we arrive at their country home. When you say country home you imagine a little cottage with chicken running around and a couch for me to sleep in.
But oh boy. Was I ever wrong. I guess I should have suspected something when the housekeepers came with us.
This place was amazing. It took 2 gates to even get into the place, and I know that doesn't sound like much, but really?! TWO GATES. We pull into the driveway and automatically staff come out of the house and take our bags for us while I get to gather my thoughts and my jaw up off the ground. It is a palace. 3 stories high made of weathered besiege stone, a garden that you know took daily maintenance, and windows I imagine a delicate lady would lean out and bid hello to her passing peasants as the walked by (except for they couldn't because, ya know, 2 gates...). There's even a small private church on the grounds for marriages and baptisms.
The fact that they had staff that lived there full time should have prepared me for what was inside.
I opened the giant doors and stepped into a different world. A giant marble staircase wide enough to fit like 2 medium elephants poured into the matching marble floor that had gold lines weaving through it. The walls were carved oak and velvet curtains and when I looked to my left there was someone polishing the door I did the white and gold doors. POLISHING THE DOORNOBS! I didn't know people actually did that!
Anyways. Ria showed me up to my room (which was kinda in the 4th story but they don't count it as a story because it doesn't have vaulted ceilings) and again, beautiful brick flooring, two single beds with more pillows than anyone could possibly need, and an all marble bathroom with 2 bidets (every bathroom in Italy I have been in had a bidet) and enough room for me to do my old floor routine.
Dinner was definitely my most Princess Diaries moment though. It was just me and Beatrice and Ippolito sat at a giant table with gorgeous china and so many forks I became overwhelmed. First course was vegetables with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. But wait. Out of the corner of my eye, I see one of the staff (his name was Fernando) standing in his white staff jacket in the corner of the room. JUST STANDING THERE WAITING FOR US TO NEED SOMETHING! Then, when we finished our vegetables, he came and took our plates away and gave us new ones. Now here was my first Anne Hathaway-esk mess up. Apparently they take the dirty plate away from your right side, and put the clean plate on your right side. I just kinda shimmied away from whichever side he was coming from. Also, it's unheard of that you poor your own water in this place.
Next: pasta. Not just any pasta, this was pasta I had seen being made fresh in the kitchen, and was now being served on my clean plate with a creamy white sauce and veal. I tried my best not to moan with every bite, with little success. After pasta and a quick plate change shimmy, it was time for the meat. Fresh steak from the ranch Beatrice's father owns. Fernando brings out this giant steak with a knife and fork and we each cut away a piece for ourselves. Fancy eh?
For dessert, we had fresh fruit. I think I'm never coming home.
Anyways, I should try to get back to sleep seeing as it is 5:30 in the morning.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment